Building a commercial game using Processing.js


Today I gave a presentation at FSOSS 2011 here at Seneca College on how we went about building a commercial game using Processing.js.

The presentation covered our development story. It covered what our industry partner does and why they wanted to change from Flash to Processing.js, our development story, and a demo of the game in its beta state.

I created the presentation using the deck.js library which allows you to create slide show presentations in a web browser using HTML and JavaScript. What’s cool about this is that it allows you to do things like put a HTML 5 canvas, audio, or video element in your slide.

With this library I was able to have a live demo of the game in a slide or embed other HTML 5 content.

Here is the video of our talk.



A monthly wrapup on processing.js progress


A lot has happened in the last month and I haven’t had time to keep up with blogging.  Between work, work, conferences, processing.js release 0.9, and other things, I haven’t had much desire to sit down and write about it really.

So a few things to write about include the release of processing.js V0.9.  Our 0.9 release is one of our biggest yet with the most changes, bug fixes, and new features.  The processing.js test-suite is updated and by now most of the major platforms and browsers have been tested.  We can still use a few people to help us cover the browsers and platform combinations not yet tested. Sign up today and help us out and learn about processing in the process (parden the pun).

Yesterday marked the end of the OCE Discovery 2010 conference which we attended with Seneca to display some of the projects we are currently working on including processing.js.

I’ll be writing about that in a few days so check back for more info.

Corbanman and Wonder Anna: My github heroes


Battling the evil forces of Github

Over the last 2 nights I have spent approximately 326 hours trying to fighting with Github to get my work sorted out on my repository.  After several hours of getting no where and actually managing to go backwards and completely destroy some of my branches I get a message from Anna on IRC asking if I need help.

She dove right into it helping me figure out what was going on and helped me get back to square one.  For those of you who follow the Processing.js project, Anna is our current project manager and already has enough stuff on her todo list without having to take time out to help me with Github.  After about an hour we got stuck on a problem with updating my master branch and She sent me to Corban for help in that department.  Corban Brook is our resident git expert and is helping oversee the Processing.js project with Al MacDonald.

To make a long story short another hour passes and Corban has helped me get my branches all updated and sorted out.  I documented all the steps for each scenario from checking out branches to merging in changes after each release.  Corban went through each scenario with me and made sure I was good to go for the future with updates and merging.


The plan is to take my documentation now and include it on the lighthouse site for others to use as a reference for the different Github use case scenarios